Reg 274 and the LTO list Update
There are a couple of items regarding the Reg 274 and the LTO list. In my last update, I had noted that there was no indication from the School Board when the LTO list would open again. ETFO provincial has been working to engage the Ministry regarding possible changes to the Regulation. This has taken longer than they originally planned and our provincial team is pushing to have a meeting to receive the feedback from the fact finders.
I am pleased to announce that locally we have submitted a policy grievance surrounding Reg 274 and the LTO list. The grievance basically states that the board has failed to “replenish” the LTO list and also failed to grant interviews to qualified occasional teachers.
I will keep you posted when more information becomes available.
You may have seen this important information from our Provincial office regarding the MOU with the government. It has been sent out through the provincial newsletter list. However, I have copied it here for those who may not have seen it. You should also have received a robocall last evening regarding the telephone town hall meeting and the on-line voting process that will take place next week. There will be more information regarding the MOU coming to members in the next few weeks. Please read the newsletters carefully to stay informed.
Please note that due to the timing of the MOU announcement, it will not be possible to organize an all-member meeting to present and discuss the MOU. I encourage all members to take advantage of the town hall meeting which will be held on Wednesday, June19 at 8:00 p.m., and to vote on-line.
Please find linked below the notice from ETFO.
http://www.etfowatots.ca/userContent/documents/MOU ENEWSLETTER TO MEMBERS JUNE 13 2013.pdf
…and the waiting continues… We had hoped to hear something from the provincial team by now. But the talks continue… talking is always better than not talking! If there is an announcement regarding a possible agreement, we will be holding an all-member meeting to present the information and details of the agreement. It will be most important that as many members as possible attend this meeting to get the latest information and to have the opportunity to ask questions.
So, in these very busy June days, please reserve a little energy to devote to what will be a very important gathering of members, should there be any news!
ONTARIO REGULATION 148/13 made under the EDUCATION ACT
- Made: April 25, 2013
- Approved: May 1, 2013
- Filed: May 8, 2013
- Published on e-Laws: May 8, 2013
- Printed in The Ontario Gazette : May 25, 2013
Amending O. Reg. 274/12
Note: Ontario Regulation 274/12 has not previously been amended.
1. (1) Subsection 4 (2) of Ontario Regulation 274/1 2 is amended by striking out “the board may” in the portion before clause (a) an d substituting “the board shall”.
(2) Clause 4 (2) (b) of the Regulation is amended b y striking out “the 10-month period” and substituting “a 10-month period that is within the five years”.
Commencement 2. This Regulation comes into force on the day it i s filed.
Made by: La ministre de l’Éducation,
E LIZABETH JEAN SANDALS
We are all anxiously awaiting news from the provincial leadership regarding the ongoing talks with the government. They have had several very long sessions recently. This is seen as positive and hopeful. Newsletters will inform you of the news when it is available!
ETFO eNewsletter – Bargaining Edition
NUMBER 33 – APRIL 3, 2013
Update: Discussions Between ETFO and Government Achieve Concrete Results
Last Tuesday, ETFO suspended the advice regarding participation in voluntary/extracurricular activities by members based on confidence that ongoing dialogue with the government and representatives from school boards would achieve concrete results on issues of concern to members.
All discussions with government have been focused on finding solutions that can be achieved without new money and within the Ministry’s funding envelope. ETFO is pleased to report that, while the details have yet to be finalized, understandings have been reached regarding the following issues:
- Eligibility for teachers, LTOs and full-time non-teaching members.
- Improvement of benefit – 100% salary for 8 weeks, less EI benefits.
- Receipt of benefit over the calendar year – 12 month period.
- June 1, 2013 implementation.
- Superior benefits protected.
- There will be no adjudication as set out in Regulation. With respect to the determination of eligibility for sick leave, collective agreement provisions and practices in effect at August 31, 2012, continue.
- References to 66 2/3% in Regulation and in the sick leave plan will be removed.
- Use of sick days as per 2008 Collective Agreement and practice.
- Extended LTD waiting period beyond 120 days will be covered.
- Increase to compensation to non-vested members for unused sick days.
- A study to review current and planned educational initiatives and student assessment at the provincial and school board level with a view to clearly focusing such initiatives and assessments on student achievement, teacher workload, and teacher professionalism.
- Job security clause for non-teacher members.
- ETFO will notify members that any advice to withdraw participation in voluntary/extra-curricular activities is suspended (completed March 26). Any decision to participate in voluntary/extra-curricular activities is at the discretion of the member. Click here
These understandings were discussed with ETFO local presidents at a meeting in Toronto earlier today.
Based on the success of our meetings to date, as well as the good faith demonstrated by the government throughout these discussions, we are confident that ongoing dialogue will result in a full agreement being reached.
It is important to emphasize that an all-member vote will be conducted upon conclusion of any agreement reached with the government. ETFO is a democratic organization and, as such, it is ETFO members who will determine whether an agreement reached with the provincial government is acceptable.
Copyright 2013 – The Elementary Teachers’ Federation of Ontario
ETFO holds the copyright to all information in this publication, except where specifically noted.
All rights reserved.