Spring is always a exciting time in the classroom as well for our local. Daily occasional work is on the rise and those members in LTOs start think about end of year reports. I hope that you carefully read through this issue of “Connecting Occasionally,” we have many year end events to look forward to, including our Annual Meeting that will be held May 19th. This issue will also highlight some of the ETFO Provincial initiatives as well as school board activities.
Carousel of Workshops
I am very proud of the local for recently hosting our amazing PD Event “The Carousel of Workshops.” This event took place on Friday, April 22nd. As you can imagine it is quite a feat to host an event with over 450 participants.
Thank you to the local executive, committee members and presenters who made this a success. We appreciate member’s feedback and evaluations, will continue to refine our ETFO PD day for 2017.
ETFO is placing a full-page ad in a number of provincial daily newspapers tomorrow (Saturday, April 30). The ad celebrates last week’s momentous Court decision on our Bill 115 Charter challenge. We want to acknowledge the support we received from our sister unions, our members, parents and other members of the public in our fight to protect our democratic rights to free collective bargaining.
For more information about our fight against Bill 115 and how it removed our right to a fair bargaining process please click here.
Benefits for Occasional Teachers
In the last round of bargaining, ETFO was able to consolidate the board benefits across the province into one plan. This process, as well as additional funding, has allowed Waterloo Occasional Teachers to be included in a fully funded benefit plan. I am pleased to announce that Waterloo will be part of the first “Wave” and that will see this implemented in the fall of the next school year. More information will be coming out over the coming months.
In order to stay current with the changes I encourage all members to signup with ETFO Provincial’s Newsletter system. Links are provided to Issues 1 and 2 for those members that may have missed them.
Please don’t hesitate to contact the local office is you have any questions or concerns regarding anything in the newsletter.
- April 18 – Tim Horton’s Meet & Greet (University & Fischer-Hallman)
- April 22 – Carousel of Workshops
- May 2 – Making Math Happen Workshop
- May 3 – Tim Horton’s Meet & Greet (Hespeler Rd 7 Dunbar)
- May 16 – OT Drop-In: Math AQ Support
- May 19 – Local Annual General Meeting
- June 9 – Tim Horton’s Meet & Greet (Ottawa & Strasburg)
- End of June – Strawberry Social
Registration information for workshops will follow closer to the date!
External contract & LTO postings
- Opens – June 13
- Closes – June 17
Central placement contracts & LTOs
Remaining LTOs posted
Please watch for more information as it becomes available and finalized
Reminder of the 5th Annual Carousel of Workshops! The Carousel of Workshops will be held April 22, 2016 which is this year’s ETFO PD Day.
Anyone in an LTO at the time of the Carousel will be required to attend for at least half the day. The other half of the day may be used for self-directed assessment, evaluation and planning (in your classroom or at school).
- Daily Occasional Teachers are also invited to attend.
- Lunch will be available to anyone that is attending for the entire day.
- Click here for more information about the workshops that will be offered.
- To register click: http://carousel2016.eventbrite.ca
Registration closes April 17 at midnight.
Questions about this event? Please contact our office at 519-571-0222 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Waterloo Region Occasional Teacher Local Annual General Meeting is coming soon! This event is an opportunity for members to vote in the new executive, learn about and vote on any changes to our local constitution, see where your union dues are going and to mingle and connect with colleagues.
- The AGM will be held Thursday, May 19, 2016.
- Business Meeting starts at 4:30pm.
- Dinner will be served at 7:00pm.
- Watch for more information about registering!
The local would also likes to recognize members who are retiring to their teaching pension. If you are in this position or know someone who is, please connect with the local.
PH: 519-571-0222 or email@example.com
Making Math Happen is a new, full-day ETFO provincial workshop for daily occasional teachers.
The workshop provides occasional teacher locals an opportunity to access effective instructional strategies and mathematical activities for daily occasional teacher members. Members will be released for the day and will receive practical; classroom tested professional learning as well as networking opportunities with other occasional teachers.
Release time for this workshop will be provided and is limited to 20 participants. Lunch will be provided.
Extra parking is available at the Big Bear Plaza across the street.
- When: Monday May 2, 2016
- Time: 9:00am – 4:00pm
- Where: WROTL Office (130 Highland Rd, East)
- Registration will open Wednesday April 20, 2016 at 4:30pm!
The goals of the workshop are to:
- Increase member confidence in teaching mathematics;
- Explore effective instructional and assessment mathematics strategies;
- Assist in the development of predictable classroom and instructional routines; and
- Provide hands-on materials and strategies that can be used in mathematics lessons across all grade levels.
Included in the last round of Provincial Bargaining was an agreement that “Occasional Teachers employed as of September 8, 2015 to be paid a lump sum amount equal to 1% of earned wages for the period September 1, 2014 to June 30, 2015.”
The board has 90 days from the date of our local ratification to pay out that 1% payment. For Occasional Teachers employed by the WRDSB, the deadline for that payment is the end of May.
We will keep you updated as more information becomes available.