Download VLAP Instructions and Application form: VLAP Guidlines ETFO 2013.pdf
- Please review these guidelines and the VLAP Request Form before submission.
- Employees may apply for up to five (5) unpaid VLAP days in the 2013-2014 school year. The provision for VLAP days became effective June 23, 2013 and expires June 30, 2014.
- For teaching staff, requests for unpaid days shall not be denied provided that there is expected to be enough available occasional teachers to cover for absent employees, and subject to system and school requirements. Administrators will record the date/time the VLAP Request Form is received and requests will be considered for approval in order of receipt.
- Employees must submit their requests for VLAP days thirty (30) calendar days prior to the date(s) requested.
- For VLAP days which are scheduled for the 2013-2014 school year the salary reduction will be equalized for the remaining pay periods (October 18, 2013, through to and including August 8, 2014) provided the request is made in writing and received by Human Resources using the VLAP Request Form by September 30, 2013.
For days requested and approved after September 30, 2013, the salary reduction will not be equalized over the remaining school year pay periods. For clarity, VLAP days will be deducted from the next possible bi-weekly pay.
Special note regarding March 7, 2014: If a VLAP day is requested for March 7, 2014 the salary reduction for that day will not be equalized over the 2013/2014 school year.
- Once a VLAP request has been approved it cannot be rescinded or changed except by mutual consent of the teacher and the Board.
- 7. Requests for VLAP days will not normally include the one (1) week period following the start of the school year and days needed to support student assessment periods and parent reporting.
- Administrators should ensure accurate and up to date tracking of VLAP absences, as well as other school based absences to ensure that an acceptable number of teachers are present on any given day. Carefully monitor the times of the year that may be high request times.
- VLAP days can be approved for PD days including Ministry mandated PD days. Teachers will be responsible for obtaining information presented to staff.
- Requests for VLAP days must be for the employee’s full regular working day.
- Teachers will be required to prepare lesson plans and appropriate work for each of their classes and be responsible for other regular teaching duties including but not limited to preparation of report cards, etc.
- Teachers may buy back their pension service credit for VLAP days directly from Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan (OTPP). It is the responsibility of the teacher to contact OTPP to make arrangements to buy back pension service credit.